For many people, differentiating these races is mission impossible. And it is true. Both the Golden and the Labrador share characteristics, so they are sometimes difficult to distinguish.
To solve all the doubts in Las Damas Criador Canino, we explain the particularities of both on a physical and character level.
Golden and Labrador: physical differences and similarities
Both breeds are characterized by being of medium-large size, well-proportioned, and with a strong constitution. Both the Golden and the Labradors also have a waterproof undercoat.
Although both the Labrador and the Golden Retriever are very similar on a physical level, and for many, they are like twins; several details make the difference between one and the other.
- The Golden can reach a larger size than the Labradors: 61 cm at the withers compared to 57 cm in males, and 56 cm at the withers compared to 46 in females. That is, those of the Golden tend to be a little taller and slimmer.
- The Labrador has a uniform colored coat, which can be black, yellow, or chocolate colored. The Golden, on the other hand, can have golden or cream tones.
- The straight and rough Labrador hair is very different from that of the Golden, which is softer and of a different length. This is, in fact, one of the most striking things to know how to differentiate them.
Between the Golden and the Labrador, are there differences in character?
Both breeds are very intelligent. They are above average.
- The Labrador is a very loyal, sociable dog and is usually friendly with people. He loves water and games in which he must use his nose. Also, it stands out for its agility.
- The Golden Retriever can become even smarter than the Labrador. He likes to perform tasks and is also a docile and reliable dog, very friendly with humans, and especially with children.
As you can see, it is easier than it seems to distinguish the two. And which one do you prefer?